SANCOLD, the South African National Committee on Large Dams, which has been traditionally involved in the development and promotion of dams in South Africa through its participation since 1965 in ICOLD, the International Commission on Large Dams, has restructured its constitution to bring it in line with international practice. In this new format, SANCOLD will be constituted to be inclusive, widely embracing and democratically representative of the dam community in South Africa.
SANCOLD's mission is to:
- Create and promote an awareness and understanding amongst South Africans of the role of dams in the beneficial and sustainable development of South Africa’s water resources;
- Advance the knowledge and skills relating to the science and art of planning, design, construction, management operation maintenance, rehabilitation and decommissioning of dams amongst its members in a safe, financially sound ecologically and socially sustainable manner;
- Provide a democratically elected national committee in South Africa to represent South Africa on ICOLD;
- Provide forums for local interaction between interested participants in the dam industry; and
- Engage with other African countries in support of initiatives such as those of the New Partnership for Africa’s Development (NEPAD) as well as those of ICOLD.
SANCOLD's vision is to develop and maintain South Africa 's water resources in a safe, financially sound, ecologically and socially sustainable manner.